those crazy kids and their snapchat and youtubes…
my cats trying to figure out the time/space continuum:
i'm a gun owner in *strong* favor of strict gun control laws. i've never used my home protection guns (and hope i never do). if someone breaks in and tries to harm/kill me, i'll empty a clip into him w/o hesitation…but there's not enough therapy in the world to fix me after.
— Big Gay Al ? (@allenmcnulty) October 1, 2019
in july 1997, i bought my 1st domain name, designed it, and started selling stuff. credit card processing wasn’t around yet, so it was all mail order. obviously, google won 🙂
i learned programming on my own, mostly via trial and error. first i taught myself html, then cgi/perl, then php/mysql. i’ve always been adept with languages and found programming to be no different than conjugating english, french, etc…plus applying math i’ve learned to round it out.
i’m thinking about teaching myself how to program apps, but i think i might wait until more “apps in a can” come out to make it easier on me to play around with.
i also used to own/run a multi-million dollar corporation that faded after 20 years, but now that i’m broke again…i guess i’m not as smart as i thought i was. lessons learned.
until i think of a new lucrative project worth my time, effort, and energy, i’ll remember that time i was successful 🙂
people always ask me about starting their own website to make money with, but it’s too long of an answer. here’s the very short version:
1. buy your domain
2. hire me to help you (or hire someone, if not me 🙂
3. google and read everything about a newbie, online business.
if you think you have a groovy online business idea, i’m happy to help. my consulting fees are extremely competitive and i can create any type of site that can do anything you want (within reason…like building you a holodeck would be beyond my skill level 🙂
(follow me on twitter!) this is my ode to the brilliant movie “airplane” 🙂
had to call my cat from the emergency room:
me: hello, butter? i'm in the hospital.
cat: oh no! what is it?
me: it's a big building with lots of doctors and sick people, but that's not what's important right now.
me: hello? is this thing on?
— Big Gay Al ?? (@allenmcnulty) September 23, 2019
follow me on twitter!
dear little red squiggly line under the words i type,
that's not a typo, i meant not to capitalize that word.
i know you're a bit broken after finishing e.e. cummings' works, but stop bleeding all over my words.
big gay al
— Big Gay Al (@allenmcnulty) September 20, 2019
organic chocolate chip cookies is the only way to eat healthy 🙂
when i was in high school, i worked as a dishwasher and bar back at a restaurant/night club. i went in at 5:00pm, where i washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen until around 10:00pm. then the restaurant converted into a nightclub, where i bar backed (restocked beer, liquor, glassware, kegs, etc. for the bar). i worked until 2 or 3 in the morning (depending on daylight savings time). i did this 4 nights a week (on average)…2 week nights and 2 weekend nights, during 10th and 11th grades.
i was late for school almost every day, usually rolling in about 2nd period or so. it was spotty for me to make it in for 1st period.
the place was fairly new and unheard of when it first opened, but soon became a hot spot. soon after, some of my school’s teachers started frequenting there at nights. at first, they were a bit taken back by my being there, but then got drunk and didn’t care 🙂
my class load was also harsh. i was taking ap (advanced placement) classes and classes usually reserved for higher grades. i maintained an “a” average by the end of each year, though. perhaps this is why they let me break so many rules…the teachers who saw me working there all the time must have told my own teachers why i needed to break a few rules (and i’ll always be appreciative for that!)
* no eating/drinking in class – i brought my breakfast into whatever class i showed up in in the morning….not to be a dick, but because a growing boy gets fuk’n hungry and needs food! nobody said a word, except for pissed off students who didn’t like me getting “special” treatment.
* x amount of days being tardy meant suspension/expulsion – my pink tardy slips in my file was so full, the folder couldn’t hold them all. when the principal took out the folder, pink slips flew everywhere. i got a slight scolding, but no punishment. (thank you, again!)
* teachers must be ethical – in 11th grade, i was professor henry higgins in “my fair lady”. 7 performances. at the time, that role had the most lines of any character in any musical ever written. plus my classes got harder. plus, i bought my own car and needed to work still to pay the insurance. that said…i never attended my 5th period geometry class, because of rehearsals, etc. that teacher frequented the place where i worked. after the play was over, it was past the point of me catching up. i never took a single test in that class either. she secretly gave me an “a” every report card and told me never to reveal it (i think all my teachers are dead now, so this it’s probably ok to snitch now 🙂
i got fired the summer before 12th grade. the owner and one of the bartenders were an item and she told him that she and i slept together. no clue why. although i hadn’t come out yet, i was gay and definitely not interested in sex with girls…but that was a different time and i couldn’t come out to defend myself and disprove the lie.
in 12th grade, their business went belly-up and i worked part-time at an easy place in order to focus on school.
i graduated with all a’s 🙂
my thanks to everyone for helping me through it all…and i hope he and his gf reads this before they die.